Friday, April 26, 2013

Well, my time here is wrapping up.

We had a farewell dinner last night, everyone was scrubbed up and looking good. It comes in waves, the sadness. Sometimes it hits me when I'm sitting in the school courtyard with my Australians, me complaining about the heat and them huddled in their jumpers (sweaters) yelling at me to put more clothes on. Then they walk back to their class and I realize I don't get this anymore. Yesterday was the last time I'll sit on the bench with Larissa, Georgia, and Ryan pretending that we're not going back to class or that we didn't see our teacher already walk by. It hit when my teacher Antonio asked us what was most surprising about what we expected from Spain. I won't get to have this  incredibly understanding, profound man teach me about Spanish literature. It hit me when I looked out the back of the bus window on my way home and saw, like I always see, the sun setting and the dark outlines of the cathedral and the Alcazaba. And I realize this isn't mine anymore. I don't get to see that sight after Wednesday. And then at the dinner I didn't get sad at all.
I found the gem. I found the perfect city for me to study abroad. Málaga has been my home for three months and I will carry it in my heart now instead of in my line of sight.

2 comments: